The regulations of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority are found in the New Jersey Administrative Code at N.J.A.C. 19:9-1.1, et seq. Free online access to a version of the Administrative Code is available through the website of the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law.
NJTA Rulemaking Notices
The NJTA issues a rulemaking notice when it plans to add, remove, or change a regulation. The notices are reviewed by the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law, published in the New Jersey Register, and subjected to a period of public review and comment before they can be adopted by the NJTA.
- Proposed Amendments to NJTA Towing Rates and Road Services Rates. The Authority proposed increasing towing and road services rates to bring them more in line with other regional toll roads and to ensure that a qualified pool of service providers remains available to serve Authority patrons and ensure safety on the roadway. The deadline for comment on this proposal was May 6, 2022. On June 25, 2022, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority Commissioners adopted the new towing and road services rates by voting to amend N.J.A.C. 19:9-3.1 and 3.2. Notice of the adoption of the new rates was published in the New Jersey Register on August 1, 2022.
NJTA Rulemaking Petitions
Members of the public can petition the NJTA to add, remove, or amend its regulations. Notices of recently filed petitions are posted here.
- Notice of Action on Petition for Rulemaking - This is the NJTA response to a petition to adopt rules setting 2030 greenhouse gas emission reduction targets. It was published in the New Jersey Register on August 15, 2022.
- Notice of Action on Petition for Rulemaking - This is the NJTA response to a petition regarding the regulation governing the administrative fee for violation of the toll collection monitoring system. It was published in the New Jersey Register on Nov. 20, 2017.
Under its enabling legislation, the NJTA has the power to "make and alter bylaws for its organization and internal management and for the conduct of its affairs and business."
From time to time, the NJTA adopts policies and procedures governing certain activities in its right of way.
- Billboard Policy - This policy sets forth guidelines for the construction, maintenance, and operation of billboards in the NJTA right of way.
- Filming Policy - This policy governs the process for getting permission to film on NJTA property. Please note: Media involved in the coverage of breaking news should call the Media Relations Office at 732-750-5333 for permission to film or photograph in the NJTA right of way. Others should read the Filming Policy for information on how to secure permission.
- Holiday Display Policy - This policy governs the placement of holiday displays on NJTA property
- Noise Barrier Policy - This policy sets forth the circumstances under which the NJTA considers the construction of noise barriers along residential areas near the Turnpike or Parkway.
- Supplemental Sign Application - This application is for entities interested in being included in existing signs along the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway
Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan
The New Jersey Turnpike Authority has created the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SPPP) for the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway to comply with conditions set forth in the Authority’s New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NJPDES) Highway Agency Stormwater General Permits (HASWGP) No. NJG0153354 (Turnpike) & No. NJG0156485 (Parkway).