Operations - Assistant Traffic Engineer
New Jersey Turnpike Authority
The Assistant Traffic Engineer works under the general direction of the Traffic Engineer, Operations fulfilling management responsibilities for implementing effective, modern, traffic engineering principles and methods on the New Jersey Turnpike to attain the Authority's objectives of a safe and convenient highway facility for the public .
- Manage assigned staff within the Traffic Engineering Division to ensure the successful execution of all responsibilities.
- Execute traffic engineering responsibilities and activities on the Authority's roadways to ensure the highest level of traffic operations, safety, and efficiency throughout the facility.
- Assist in the design of the Authority's signing programs, both existing and planned.
- Review and make recommendations on existing and proposed roadway lighting, signals, delineation, and pavement markings on the Authority's roadways.
- Review, prepare, and recommend traffic protection and safety provisions for construction or maintenance activities for all activities within the Authority right-of-way. Conduct a continual overview of Authority traffic operations to recommend improvements in facilities, devices, policies, procedures, and traffic regulations.
- Act as a liaison with traffic engineering consultants and other agencies on any traffic operations projects or problems affecting the Authority's roadways.
- Execute other assignments relating to traffic engineering and operations as directed by supervisor, preparing reports as necessary with appropriate recommendations.
- Plan and assist in the collection and analysis of accident and volume data as well as special traffic studies, developing repo1ts and Review construction contracts and specifications and prepare traffic permits.
- Remain on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and participate in the Operations Duty Roster to coordinate traffic operations activities on all matters affecting Turnpike traffic such as weather conditions, accidents, hazardous material spills, congestion, major traffic generating events, and other conditions which adversely affect the roadways to ensure the preservation of the best interest of the Authority.
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities , duties, skills, or requirements for the job. Management reserves the right to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR RELATIONSHIPS :
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with all employees of the Authority . Represent the Authority in a positive, professional, and confidential manner in dealings with external agencies, contractors, and all other individuals and entities. Maintain professional demeanor even in high stress emergency and weather situations.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) required, in good standing.
- Five (5) years of experience working on highway construction, roadway resurfacing, and bridge construction projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound analytical and professional judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively with other departments.
- Must possess a valid New Jersey driver's license.